This document details surplus of Medical Center-owned computer equipment. The University has contracted with Creative Recycling Services, Inc for secure disposal of computing and other electronic assets. For information on surplus of computing equipment owned by the School of Medicine or other academic areas, please see Surplus Procedure on UVA's Property Surplus website.
The following items must be surplused as "Computer/Electronic Surplus" regardless of working condition:
- Cash Registers
- Desktop Computers
- Digital cameras
- Fax Machines
- Handhelds (including cell phones, PDAs, Blackberry, etc.)
- LCD (Flat Screen) Monitors
- Media - Magnetics (hard drives, tapes, etc.)
- Mobile Computers (laptop, notebook, tablet, etc.)
- Peripherals (keyboards, mice, docking stations, speakers, etc.)
- CRT Monitors
- Audio/Video Equipment
Surplus Procedures for HSTS Customers
* Note - this section pertains to customers requesting HSTS to replace and/or pick up existing equipment. For departmental IT affiliates or LSPs, see the section below.
- For PCs replaced as part of the normal lifecycle replacement process, there is no need for any action on the part of the customer. HSTS will replace the PC and remove the PC for later surplus.
- For surplus of Medical Center computing equipment not part of the PC Replacement list, submit a Service Request from the HSTS web site. HSTS will remove the equipment for surplus.
- For surplus of non-Medical Center equipment, including equipment from the School of Medicine, see Surplus Procedure on UVA's Property Surplus website.
See HSTS Lifecycle Process for desktop computing devices for procedures HSTS adheres to for asset management of desktop devices which may contain hard drives or ePHI (PCs, laptops, tablets).
Surplus Procedures for Departmental IT Affiliates and LSPs
- For surplus of departmentally-owned (rather than Medical Center) computing equipment, or PCs not included on this year's PC Replacement list, refer to Surplus Procedure on UVA's Property Surplus website.
- For surplus of PCs on this year's Medical Center Lifecycle Replacement list, as well as other computing equipment listed above, contact the HSTS Storeroom at 2-0178 or 3-6622 to arrange a time to drop off the equipment. Currently HSTS schedules a surplus pickup with CSR once per month.
Background Information on Secure Data Disposal and Creative Recycling Services, Inc (CSR)
In order to protect the security of information that may have been stored on various types of electronic data storage equipment and devices, the University now requires that all such property, when no longer needed at the University, be disposed of through the University's accounts in CSR's Secure Data Disposal and Surplus system (CSR).
CSR's contract with the Commonwealth specifically addresses government and corporate governance as related to end-of-life technology and the issues associated with ensuring appropriate data security and privacy protections. This solution incorporates chain of custody, web-enabled tracking, HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley and DOD- approved data sanitization methodologies, and zero landfill recycling policies. All property disposed of through this process is managed in an EPA Licensed facility, following EPA green guidelines.