Defines the process used by the Medical Center to request UVa Computing ID's, Univeristy ID's, and Medical Center Network/Email Accounts.
To assist in the process of requesting UVA Health System Network accounts for employees not on a UVA Medical Center (209) payroll feed.
This procedure applies to all Non UVA Medical Center personnel.
- UVa Medical Center Employees – UVa Computing ID’s, University ID, and Medical Center Network/Email accounts are created automatically as part of the onboarding process.
- University of Virginia Academic Employees – UVa Computing ID’s and University ID’s for Academic employees are created automatically as part of the University onboarding process. Medical Center Network/Email accounts can be requested via the LAN Account Request Form by the Manager, employee or Human Resources department.
- University Physicians Group (UPG) – UVa Computing ID’s and University ID’s for UPG employees are created automatically as part of the UPG onboarding process. Medical Center Network/Email accounts can be requested via the LAN Account Request Form by the Manager, employee or Human Resources department.
- External Customers (non-UVA employees - i.e., vendors, students, observers, etc.) – Medical Center Sponsors can use the process provided below to request a UVa Computing ID, University ID, Medical Center Network/Email account, LMS (Netlearning) access.
External Customers Detailed Request Process
The UVA Medical Center Computing ID Request Spreadsheet can be used by Medical Center Sponsors to request UVa Computing ID, University ID, Medical Center Network/Email accounts, and LMS (Netlearning) access for Non-UVa employees.
As indicated in the spreadsheet, column headers in red are required in order to process the request. Health IT Security will validate the information provided. Please allow up to one week for the request to be processed. This spreadsheet requires the following:
If you are making a request for someone who already has a UVA computing ID, then only the last 4 digits of the social security number are required.
If requesting a UVA computing ID and a badge number needs to be created, the full social security number and the date of birth are needed. If necessary, Health IT Security can assign a generic social security number. Please indicate this by writing “generic needed” in the SSN field.
A new account will be created if you provide information that does not match existing information in the University Identity and Access Management system. If the applicant has been previously employed or affiliated with the University of Virginia in the past, it is important to provide accurate information. If a new computing ID is created because incorrect information was provided, all requests for moving the current access to the previous computing ID will be denied.
Spreadsheets containing social security numbers should be password protected. The spreadsheet and an email containing the password should be sent separately.
Directions to password protect your Excel spreadsheet are provided below under Supporting Resources.
- Please open the spreadsheet and save a copy. Rename the spreadsheet with your name (as the requestor) and the date (ex. SmithJohn_20130805).
Please do not add or remove any columns or change any of the names of the column headers.
The spreadsheet should be sent as an attachment to MCC Security (MCCSecurity@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu). We are in the Global Address List as MCC Security.
- Multiple people can be submitted in the same spreadsheet.
In the email to which you attach the spreadsheet, please specify what you need for the person(s) in the spreadsheet:
- UVa Computing ID and 9 digit badge number
- LMS (Net Learning)
- Health System Network account
- Outlook Email
- Access to Information Systems such as Epic, PACS, etc. (Note: you must provide specific information on what access is needed in order for the HIT Security team to submit the Online Access Request). Please email the IT Security team at MCCSecurity@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu if you have additional questions about this process.
If you encounter problems during any of the above procedures, you can contact the HSTS Help Desk during normal business hours at 434-924-5334.
Note: All users requesting access to Health System information systems must complete the Electronic Access Agreement. It is maintained by the respective agency's (Medical Center, UPG, SOM) Human Resources department. In instances of vendor or other 3rd party access, the form is maintained by the UVa Medical Center Manager sponsoring the 3rd party access. Download form here. (pdf)