The following Medical Center equipment (regardless of the working condition) must be surplused and all storage devices must be destroyed using the Surplus Request Procedure identified below:
- Cash Registers
- Desktop Computers
- Digital cameras
- Fax Machines
- Handhelds (including cell phones, PDAs, Blackberry, iPad, etc.)
- All Monitors
- Media - Magnetics (hard drives, tapes, etc.)
- Mobile Computers (laptop, notebook, tablet, etc.)
- Peripherals (keyboards, mice, docking stations, speakers, etc.)
- Audio/Video Equipment
Surplus Request Procedures
1. HIT Customers:
This section pertains to customers requesting HIT to replace and/or pick up existing equipment. For departmental IT affiliates or LSPs, see the section below.
- For PCs replaced as part of the normal lifecycle replacement process, there is no need for any action on the part of the customer. HIT will replace the PC and remove the PC for later surplus.
- For surplus of Medical Center computing equipment not part of the PC Replacement list, submit a Service Request from the HIT web site. HIT will remove the equipment for surplus.
- For surplus of non-Medical Center equipment, including equipment from the School of Medicine, see Surplus Procedure on UVA's Property Surplus website.
See "Surplus and Destruction of Storage Devices" for the standards that HIT adheres to in the disposal of devices which may contain hard drives or EPHI (PCs, laptops, tablets).
2. Departmental IT Affiliates and LSPs
- For surplus of departmentally-owned (rather than Medical Center) computing equipment, or PCs not included on this year's PC Replacement list, refer to Surplus Procedure on UVA's Property Surplus website.
- For surplus of PCs on this year's Medical Center Lifecycle Replacement list, as well as other computing equipment listed above, contact the HIT Storeroom at 2-0178 or 3-6622 to arrange a time to drop off the equipment. HIT schedules surplus pickups with our vendor, CSR, as needed.