All employees/customers with access to Medical Center Information Systems are responsible for the protection and security of EPHI per Health System Policy IT-002: Use of Electronic Information and Systems.
HIT Security Department
The Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) has been designated by the Chief Information Technology Officer (CITO) to oversee the development and implementation of HIT Security Program for the University of Virginia Medical Center.
The CISO and the HIT Security Office are responsible for:
- Develop and Implement Information Security Policy
- Organizing Information Security (Internal and External Organizations)
- Asset Management
- Human Resources Security
- Physical and Environmental Security
- Communications and Operations Management
- Access Control
- Information Systems Acquisition, Development, and Maintenance
- Information Security Incident Management/Response
- Information Security Aspects of Business Continuity Management
- Information Systems Risk Assessments (Health System)
- Compliance (Legal requirements, Security Policies, Standards, and Technical Compliance; Information Systems Audit Considerations)