Duo Access for Workday
Health System employees will need Duo in order to access Workday. You do not need a VPN token for Workday, only Duo access. Please refer to the following website if you only need to enroll in Duo for Workday.
(Note: If you are already enrolled in Duo and using it for VPN or Email there are no additional steps that need to be completed.)
Duo Access for VPN
For VPN access to UVA Health System secured network (i.e., offsite access to Epic, PACS, work computer) requires 2-step authentication. Enrolling for 2-step authentication is easy.
You will first need to request VPN access via the Online Access Request application (link provided below)
You also need the Duo mobile app. To use the app, you need a working mobile device with a telephone number and a cellular signal or Internet connection. You then download Duo from a mobile app store and register the device through UVA's Duo management portal.
Note: In special cases where a mobile device cannot be used for 2-step authentication to Medical Center resources, applicants may email MCCSecurity@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu to request a hardware token.
Step 1: Download the app for your mobile device type:
Apple Devices: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/duo-mobile/id422663827?mt=8
- You should install Duo on a mobile device that you have with you most of the time.
- You can even download it to more than one mobile device to make sure you have access wherever you are.
- There is no limit to how many mobile devices you can download the app to, but it must have a phone number and the ability to access a cellular signal or the Internet.
Step 2: Register the device (or devices) on the UVA Login Portal.
- This login portal is hosted by UVA Academic, and you will be asked to enter your Health System network credentials at a NetBadge login screen first
After logging into the portal, you will be sent to the management page for 2-step login (Duo), where you will register the devices to which you've downloaded the Duo app.
- To add a device, you must first install the Duo app on the device, and you should have the device with you so that you can activate it.
- Click the Add New Device button in the management portal (make sure that you are on the DuoSecurity tab at the top):
- Once you click Add New Device, the following form will appear:
Note that certain device options, such as "landline" under the Type field, are not valid for logins to Medical Center resources such as Epic EPCS, VPN, or OWA. However, you should register your landline so that you can still access Workday and the Duo management portal, even if you lose your registered mobile device(s). Instructions for adding a landline are provided after these steps for adding a mobile device.
- Click the type of device you want to add and click Next and the following form will appear:
Enter a name for the device you are adding and click Next; the following form will appear:
Select a country code and enter your phone number on the form. Click Next and the following form will appear.
Select the type of phone you are adding to Duo and click Next. The following form will appear.
Select I have Duo Mobile on the next form. The next form presents you with a QR Code and steps for the activation of Duo. Please open the Duo mobile application on your smart phone and perform the steps present on the form OR select the option to have an activation link emailed to you if your email is set up on your smart phone. The email will contain an activation link that you will click on to complete the Duo activation. Note that if you choose the email option, a message will appear on the phone asking if you want to open the page in "Duo Mobile". Click Open and the Duo app will open allowing you to add your UVA Duo key.
Once the QR code is scanned OR you have used the activation link in the email, you should now see your UVa Duo key in your Duo Mobile application.
You can now close the Duo app on the phone.
Repeat the above steps for each device you want to activate (remember that Duo will have to be installed separately on each device).
Once you've added your first device, the enrollment page will show the devices you've registered and allow you to do the following for each added device:
- Reactivate: If you had to reload the app or reset your phone or if you accidentally delete the UVA account in Duo on your device, use this option to add the UVA account back into the Duo app
- Edit: To change the phone's information, such as the phone number associated with the device
- Remove: To remove the device from the enrollment portal if you lose or retire the phone
Note: The options "Get SMS codes" and "Generate Backup Codes" also listed on the UVA enrollment page cannot be used as methods for authenticating to EPCS although they can be used to access NetBadge protected websites, UVA Health Email, and UVA Health VPN in the event you lose your registered mobile device.
Register as many devices as you need. The app must be installed separately on each device you register.
- Go to the Duo portal at https://identity.virginia.edu/identity/self-service/uva/autologin.jsf and login via Netbadge.
- Click the Add New Device button:
- Once you click Add New Device, the following form appears:
- Select Landline and click the blue Next button at the bottom of the form and the following window will appear:
- Enter a name for your phone and click the blue Next button at the bottom of the form and the following window will appear:
- Enter the phone number and extension (if applicable) and click the blue Activate Phone button at the bottom of the form; the following window will appear:
- Once you've added your device, the enrollment page will show the devices you've registered and allow you to do the following for each landline:
- Edit: To change the phone's information such as the phone number associated with the device.
- Remove: To remove the device from the enrollment portal if you lose or retire the phone.
Health Information & Technology